A decade of rose fellowship in the Southern Cape
The Knysna Rose Society (KRS) held its inaugural meeting on the 18th February 2006 under the chairmanship of the late Alan Tew. Though the initial members were from Knysna itself, the society now services the greater Southern Cape of South Africa with members hailing from Mossel Bay, George, Sedgefield, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Nature’s Valley and the Tsitsikamma. Membership has grown from the initial 25 to an average of 110.
To promote rose growing in a geographical region traditionally known as unsuitable for roses.
This objective is met through providing members with the following benefits:
- The camaraderie of fellow rosarians.
- Rose Care Workshops held in local rose gardens. Members learn from the most experienced growers in the Southern Cape. In general, these workshops are held on a quarterly basis and include topics that are seasonally appropriate and cater for both novice and experienced rose growers.
- Free rose care advice.
- Participation in the annual Autumn Rose Show staged in April which showcases the best blooms we have to offer. Fierce but friendly competition between members and exhibitors ensures that this is the highlight of the KRS calendar.
- Participation in Rose Shows hosted by other rose societies, garden clubs etc.
- Fun social outings and visits to local rose gardens.
- Regular Newsletters.
- Affiliation to the Federation of Rose Societies of South Africa (ROSA)
- National Conventions hosted by ROSA affiliated societies.
- Business partnering benefits that include access to an AgriLand Cash Card for discounts on garden related products, discounts at Ludwig’s Outeniqua and a range of specially formulated organic plant nutrients and pesticides.
The KRS does not have a fixed meeting schedule, so check on our Facebook Page for upcoming events or send us an e-mail. We would be happy to send you our current calendar. Regular events include
- The Rose Show
- Workshops – Planting new roses, Summer Care, Soil Preparation, Winter Pruning, Growing for the Show Bench etc.
- Garden visits, Tea Parties, Talks.
- AGM – our financial year runs June to May, so our AGM is generally held at the beginning of August.
- Subscriptions are currently R90 per annum.
- The Society is managed on a “Portfolio” basis with a revolving chair. Office bearers include Treasurer, Secretary, Show Convenor, Social and Rose Care.
2018/2019 Portfolio officers
Chairman: Sheenagh Harris
Treasurer and Membership – Julia Sulman
Secretary – Emily Bruwer
Other Committee members: Pam Webber, Stella Sohn